School History


The school has not always occupied its present site; it began its life in Apsley Village in the middle of the 19th century.

In March 1869 the school moved to the area known as “Two Waters” (site now occupied by Aldi). The school was established by the Non-Conformists, and catered for 76 pupils. In 1875 the School Board took over responsibility and educated children up to the school-leaving age of 12. Having reached 119 pupils, the school outgrew its premises and new buildings with a distinctive bell tower were added in 1878.

In 1913 a new school was built at a cost of £3,362 3s 0d, accommodating up to 60 pupils in each classroom – although attendance generally dropped during harvest time and in the blackberry season.
In the late 1930s a Central School for older pupils was held in these premises. During the second world war the influx of evacuees increased the school roll to the extent of introducing a double shift system. In 1941, Two Waters Juniors and Infants School absorbed the pupils of Wordsworth Junior Infants in London.

As the school grew in size it moved in June 1976 to a new building on its present site on the Manor Estate.  The school now has over 230 children on the school roll.